Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, founded as a mission in 1863, was established as a parish in Redwood City in 1887. The late Fr. John P. Cavanagh purchased the present day property and saw to the building of a school a rectory for the priests, and a church (now the parish Auditorium/Gym named Cavanagh Hall.) A convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur who staffed the school was added later. Fr. Cavanagh campaigned tirelessly to realize his dream of a beautiful new church. This was realized in 1952 with the completion of the current parish church at the corner of James and Fulton.